Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What ails me

It sits in the background, infiltrating my usual good mood. Sometimes I don’t event notice it at all.  But then, as the burdensome tasks of the day mount upon my heaving shoulders, it is there. Nagging so loudly in my subconscious that it finally breaks through to the surface.

But it is a sneaky little bugger. It manifests itself in me in the form of snarkiness and impatience. After a while, frustration and then depression set in.  In the end, just the dull, throbbing, ache of my back left broken molar reminds me once again to make a dental appointment.

There are several problems with fixing this painful dentition: 1) It is hard to find a really great dentist on this little, tiny, rock in the ocean; 2) My co-pay to have this tooth crowned, even with the least expensive process, is too much for my little pocket; and 3) I keep forgetting to call. You see, this dull and sometimes excruciatingly painful feeling comes and goes. When it comes, it consumes me and influences all of the decisions of my eternal day (which are then carried out with steely grit). But, when the pain subsides, along with the withering tooth-roots, I totally forget about it. Not in pain, not in mind.

It is after-hours now anyway. There is no dentist to call (I am now conveniently telling myself)! Pass me a beer and an aspirin and I’ll see you in the morning.

No comments: