Sunday, April 4, 2010

Time flies



Do you realize that one fourth of the new year, 2010 is already over with? Also, have you ever noticed that when there are deadlines afoot, time seems to speed up?


Recently, as grants, reports, and spending deadlines have been looming over my head, I am struck by the incongruency of time and space.  I now realize that there is a peculiar balance that the universe needs to keep when all of these chaotic demands are spiraling out of control. There seems to be a direct correlation between deadlines that approach at light speed and the information one needs for these deadlines arriving at a snailʻs pace. As time speeds up for one thing, it is slowed right back down for another.


Thus we ride the roller coaster of time; caught in an endless loop and destined to repeat it with  abandon. 


Yesterday, as I waited an eternity at the stop light to exit the Safeway parking lot, I notice that I barely had enough time to make it home before dark (essential to navigating the copious land mines my neighborʻs dogs leave scattered around where I park).

The day before I crept through traffic, taking an eternity to get to work, as the minute-hand raced to the appointed starting time of my work day. Slow. Fast. Slow. Fast. The cycle continues.  How fast does time fly? Faster than the speed of light, and slower than eternity. 

No comments: