Sunday, February 7, 2010

Recycle, Re-use, Re-mill?

Global warming, climate change, drought, floods, famine...there is definitely a need to do my part in the "greening" movement. My solution: Re-milling. As many of you know, my favorite hobby is making delicious and skin-enriching soaps. Well, sometimes, in my quest to make the perfect body soap, I end up creating soaps that, although wonderful, don't end up on the top of my give-away list and thus linger too long on the shelves in my spare bedroom. The solution? Re-milling.

Re-milling is the process of taking the soap, grating it down into loose flecks, melting it down, and mixing in skin-nurturing goat's milk with a new essential oil. This process can all be accomplished in my energy-saving slow-cooker and the results have been fantastic!

The green soap on the left is a soy bar with tea tree oil. It is not only refreshing, but healing! The orange soap is also a soy bar but with an essential oil mixture of cardamom, sweet orange, lemon, and peppermint. YUM! Today's project (not pictured yet) involves Oatmeal and Honey soap mixed with Goat's Milk and Honey soap, more goat's milk, and cinnamon leaf essential oil. I think I'll name it Cinnamon Honey. Just let me know if you are interested in any of these wonderful soaps and I'll check to see if I have any left.

No comments: