Sunday, February 21, 2010

Domesticated savages

Brutal, primitive, threatening and dangerous beings who live very near, but outside the metropolis and its regulations. Hmmm. Sounds like King Kong, big cats at the zoo, or Cruella De Vil. But, no, I am talking about my landlord's three huge dogs.


This morning I witnessed something so gruesome I had to blog about it. During these dog's normal patrol of the neighborhood I observed them calmly lying in the sun chewing on something. Then, one of them (having finished what he was eating) got up and strolled into the tall grass and came out with something dangling from its mouth. Two little legs. It sauntered over to a cleared area and proceeded to tear it apart and swallow it down.


Now, I am not a strong advocate for feral cats, but this was appalling to me. These dogs are allowed to wonder at their leisure all over the neighborhood. They even have a history of killing another small dog at the end of my street. And yet, no effort is made to control them! They run up on people's (read mine) decks in the middle of the night. They chase cats under my house while I am trying to sleep, and they try to bite my car tires as I attempt to pass by them on my way out of our dead-end street.


What will it take to make this behavior stop? Even the savage in me comes out as I fantasize about one of them getting their teeth stuck in my tire and I snap their neck as I continue to drive away.  I seem to be stuck on a dog theme lately; but really, people should not own dogs if they can't be responsible for them. Dogs are a domesticated animal.  They need more than just being fed and let loose. Otherwise, they become savages; tearing apart garbage cans, barking incessantly, and killing other "domesticated" animals. Come on people.

No comments: