Monday, February 15, 2010

Anthropomorphism run amuck

Say what??!! Okay, I've been watching a lot of the Dog Whisperer lately trying to pick up on useful tips to have my little babies (read dogs) behave better and there is something very disturbing  that I am consistently seeing. Dog owners are treating their dogs as humans. Hence, the definition of anthropomorphismThe endowment of human characteristics to something that is not human.


Over and over again, we (yes, I am including myself) use human psychology as a technique in rearing our little angels. We assume that they can understand our logic and they are beaten into submission (or not) by our constant barrage of baby-talk, bribes, and babbling commands. It is amazing that anyone owns a well-behaved dog; I think it is purely the result of luck and/or a very stupid dog that can not be influenced by our own behavior.


Caesar Millan has it so totally right. What a dog needs is exercise, discipline, and affection (in that order). Period. Well, besides a good diet, obviously. The biggest problem is that dog owners are a lazy bunch and tend to give affection first and foremost. We unconsciously are petting them when they are barking their heads off at a cat - reinforcing their behavior! Millan encourages owners to give affection, but to give affection when the dog is in a balanced state of mind, not when the dog is fearful, anxious, avoidant or excited — when the affection itself can reinforce imbalance.


Reinforcing imbalance? Whoa. We humans have another term for this: enabling. And we are so, so good at it. So, Caesar, I am making a pledge: exercise, discipline, and affection every day. Um, well, at least discipline and affection every day. Especially affection.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I think I resemble this! I mean RESENT, I resent this...ya