Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm much better now...

I am dedicating today's blog to all of you who keep putting off going to the dentist. I know that I risk sounding a bit like a hill-billy-hobo-schmuck by announcing that I have not had my teeth checked for about, ummm, well, too long. Thus, I spent this last weekend in agony and  paralyzing pain from my broken molar.

Yes, I hate to harp on this subject. And, yes, I could have made an appointment right after the first time I blogged about it. But, no, I never did and I am paying the price ten times over for my transgression.

After digging in my cupboards and searching drawers and shelves, I finally located some temporary pain relief: tablets of 800 mg of Ibuprophen. Hallelujah! But that relief was only temporary. Once you reach a certain pain threshold and try to hold the fort there, Pain often goes for the stealthy Judo move and somehow manages to knock over the fragile barricade of comfort carefully constructed around the afflicted area.


So today, sounding as pathetic as I could (which wasn't hard), I called the dentist. Could they get me in today rather than have me wait an eternal three days for a scheduled appointment? No, but they could help with "pain management". I liked the sound of that.


A quick trip to the pharmacy has now resulted in a fairly happy camper. Vicodin is my friend. As long as I stay away from anything hot, or cold, or slightly either side of body temperature, I'll be okay.


The moral of this lesson? Floss daily. Brush at least twice a day. And, for gosh sakes, go to the dentist and take care of anything that needs taking care of. Your mouth will thank you. Literally.

No comments: