Saturday, October 2, 2010

When reading is not really reading

I worked the Library Book Sale yesterday evening and discovered something interesting. Firstly, that the sales amount set on the books were ridiculously under-valued (50 cents each), but secondly, that people are crazy and will buy just about anything if the price is right.


20 year old tour books? Of course. 10 year old text books on physics? Absolutely. How to redecorate your house with that modern touch (circa 1991)? Why not? People were leaving with huge and heavy boxes filled with books they will regret lugging home as soon as they begin to unpack them. Personally, I restrained myself (as my bookshelves are mostly double-parked with books as it is) and left with three books as gifts (two of them cookbooks), a popular paperback that I have never read before, and a tabletop book about stars (I don't think this will go out of date at the speed of light like some books).


I looked up this book-buying phenomenon and there is actually a name for it: Bibliomania. This is an obsessive-compulsive disorder involving the collecting or hoarding of books to the point where social relations or health are damaged (probably your back from sorting, hauling, and lifting them). Then I found out that this is only one of several psychological disorders associated with books!  


I'm sure that there were quite a few normal people (at least in appearance and behavior) at yesterday's book sale) but I question the ones that went out with multiple book-laden boxes. On one occasion, while I was tallying a gathered pile of books for payment, the book-collector was still grabbing random books from the nearest table! Once, I even made a suggestion to one fellow that he reinforce his bookcase since none of the books he was purchasing was under six pounds each!  During a lull I discussed this weird book-buying frenzy with my fellow-cashier and, to be honest, she was mostly glad that the books were going out the door. She suggested that perhaps those people were planning on opening their own book store. Perhaps.


Or, perhaps, they are suffering from bibliophilia (the usual love of books), bibliophagy (book-eating), or even bibliotaphy (book-burying)! (Yes, Wikipedia is my friend). And don't forget biblioginormosity (huge book collecting - okay, I just made that one up).


Whatever the case, the Kapa`a Public Library thanks those patrons and we ask that they kindly never return any of those books. We are non-judging Friends of the Library and thank them for their support. And, possibly, suggest that they seek some support themselves.






No comments: