Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sizing Up The Olympics


Even though I don't have a T.V. that gets any stations, I thought I'd chime in regarding the Olympics. I was, in fact, wondering when the word "Olympic" changed from a noun to an adverb (i.e. olympic-sized headache). Delving into this question further I did a little internet-investigation of my own and found out something interesting.

Apparently, the size of the pool is used to describe things of substance or volume to the "layman". Do most people know that an Olympic-sized pool holds 660,000 US gallons? My internal reference scale tells me that's a lot of milk jugs!

This photo is of the Olympic-sized pool in Munich, used in the 1972 games. I stood outside this building in January 2006 and I can confirm that there definitely was an Olympic-sized roof on that building!

Other references that you must absolutely know is that London alone fills an Olympic-size swimming pool with rubbish every half-hour. I'm sure that Bejing, during these very festive Olympics, will also be filling something with Olympic-sized rubbish; they'll just have to wait until a receptacle becomes available.

No comments: